Monday, September 19, 2005

Reflections on West Point

I traveled to New York City with some friends from Baylor to hang out in New York and attend the Baylor versus Army football game this past weekend. I was impressed with what I witnessed at West Point- one of the most scenic campuses in America. I came away from the trip reflecting on submission.

Most people hate to submit to anything- authority, spouses and each other. We are born rebels and most die rebels. Rebellion is glorified in our culture. I want to differentiate between submission and conformity. Conformity to peer pressure and the crowed is usually motivated by fear. What would happen if I am different? Would I still be liked if others view me as odd? These are questions that go through the head of someone deciding to conform or not. Romans 12:2 teaches, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good, acceptable and perfect."

Submission is usually voluntary. Submitting is powerful and humble. It is preferring others over self. Ephesians 5:21, "submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." I have been fortunate to take Greek and Hebrew classes from Elliott Greene- a humble, godly man. He emphasizes continually that we need to love the word submit. Submitting to God is the highest of all actions. What does this have to do with West Point?

It was refreshing to be at a place where submission is practiced daily. I am sure some of those cadets are anxious for the day when they will be giving orders instead of taking them. But as I overheard them talking to fans at the game, it always "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am". Their respect for God, country and others was evident.

Football games give them one of a few opportunities to cut loose during the week. But it is controlled fun. I was encouraged by what I saw at West Point. As future leaders of our country, it is refreshing to see submission applied in the tradition of past West Point graduates Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and more recently Colin Powell and Norman Schwarzkopf.

At the root of stewardship is a burning desire to submit to God and to allow Him to use us for whatever purposes He may have. Teddy Roosevelt called submission the Micah Mandate. Micah 6:8, "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Ashley Hodge

No comments: