Thursday, March 16, 2006

Lessons from Spring


Spring is a time of re-birth. God has provided two books for our instruction- the book of revelation (Bible) and the book of creation. Job 12:8 says, "Look to the earth and it will teach you." Observe this world and you will see a great contrast between Winter and Spring. The trees and leaves that die in Winter spring to new life in March- at least in Texas this is true.

Yet men and women scoff when they hear teaching about the resurrection of the dead. Jesus Christ resurrected from the dead? Preposterous. Humans resurrected after they die? Impossible says the skeptic.

Open our eyes, we see it in nature every day and never question the truth. Let the earth teach us. I am looking forward to the resurrection of this earth and my body. As I write this, I am in good health. I am on the verge of turning 37 years old. But I am increasingly aware that the Winter is coming when this body will die. This body will lay in the grave awaiting the Spring.

There is another reason I love March- March Madness. I love basketball. I love to play and watch hoops. I play basketball with a group of guys a couple of times a week at Lifetime Fitness in Dallas. I am fortunate enough to be able to still play at a decent level (depending on how you define decent). But I need the practice. My mind is capable of playing a lot better than my body is. I have an eternity of pick-up basketball awaiting me when the earth is restored and I receive my resurrected body.

I grew up in Maryland- the heart of ACC country. There is nothing like March for a college basketball junkie like myself. It is a time of excitement, upsets, rooting for the underdog and buzzer beating shots. But like any passion that we have on this earth, it is only a glimpse. The real deal is coming- the true life that can only be gained through faith in Christ.

So I have picked my Final Four. My selections are a little unconventional. Texas (I detest even the thought), Gonzaga, UConn and Boston College. Boston College wins it all. I have a tough act to follow, I correctly picked the Final 4 last year- for the first time in my life.

March is a time to celebrate. It is a time to celebrate all of God's gracious gifts. None more precious than the resurrection. "So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body." I Corinthians 15:42-44.

Martin Luther used to say there are only two days: Today and That Day. I eagerly await That Day.

For His glory,

Ashley Hodge

No comments: