Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Exclusively Inclusive

I spent a couple of days in New York City this past week for an investment conference. I enjoy NYC for two major reasons:

1. It is the most vibrant city I have experienced
2. It is a melting pot of all the different races, ethnicities and peoples of the world

For me, these two points give me cause to contemplate Heaven- the true home that awaits God's children. I envision that Heaven will be like NYC in these ways.

Heaven will be vibrant- full of life. One of the promises of Christ is that He came to give abundant life- John 10:10. This of course is twisted by many "believers" to rationalize seeking pleasure and comfort in this life at any cost. But my point is that vibrancy is to be expected and longed for. I believe cities of Heaven will be like New York on steroids in this regard.

Heaven will also be a melting pot. We are told that every tongue, tribe, people and nation will be represented at the end of time worshipping Christ who was sacrificed for the sins of the redeemed. Christ has chosen people from every corner of the earth to serve God and reign over the earth- Revelation 5:9-10. We will fulfill the stewardship mandate- Genesis 1:28- for which we were created.

This verse is summarized in a song by the Newsboys called He Reigns:

It's the song of the redeemed; Rising from the African plain;
It's the song of the forgiven; Drowning out the Amazon rain;
It's the song of Asian believers; Filled with God's holy fire;
It's every tribe, every tongue, every nation; A love song born of a grateful choir;
It's all God's children singing glory, glory, hallelujah, He reigns.

I sat in a sports bar on Friday night watching my beloved Baylor Bears play a very competitive game against Kevin Durant (can't wait until he goes pro so I don't have to see him play against the Bears again) and the Texas Longhorns in the big 12 basketball tournament. As I was watching the game, I observed at least 15 different races represented in that one place. People mingled together as if there were no racial divisions or prejudices to overcome. I thought this is Heaven like. This is what I long for- learning from and appreciating people from every race with a common love for God.

What makes Christianity so unique among the religions of the world is that it is so inclusive. Islam is predominately North Africa and the Middle East. Judaism is also widespread, but predominately Israel, Europe and North America. Hinduism is predominately Indian. Buddhism is the Far East. But Christianity is spread out among all the lands and peoples of the world. The fastest growth is in Asia, Africa and Latin America.

But Christianity is also exclusive. Christianity believes the words of Christ are true. Christ and the apostles said some exclusive things. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life. No one comes to God except through me."- John 14:6. The Apostle Peter said that there is no other way to be saved except through Christ- Acts 4:10-12. Truth by its very nature is exclusive. This is one of the great deceptions of our postmodern age: that as long as you are spiritual you are on the right path.

It is true that world religions are basically the same except for some small little matters such as how we were created; who God is; sin; salvation; what happens to us after we die; free will; evil and a couple of other things. Other than that, all religions are the same. Pascal's wager on Christianity needs to be considered: http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/pascals-wager.htm

There are parts of the world today where declaring Christianity as exclusive truth is considered hate speech. If it is untrue, it is certainly a cruel belief to expouse. But if it is true, it must be declared. It will would be cruel to be silent. I believe what Christ said is true. There is no other way to Heaven than to submit our wills to Him, have faith that His promises are true and seek to obey what He taught. The Apostle Paul said, "Let God be true and every man a liar."- Romans 3:4

Christianity is inclusive. Christ says: Come; Believe; Trust Me. But it is also exclusive. It is not vague. It declares one way to God. It says: Believe or reject. But don't play games.

I look forward to Heaven. I long for the best things this earth has to offer. But I am ready to leave the sin and limitations. I look forward to experiencing Christ in a resurrected body and a resurrected earth. I pray that everyone reading this will experience it with me. We will grow and learn as God's stewards over paradise restored. Only by God's mercy.

For His Glory,

Ashley Hodge

No comments: