Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Basketball and Stewardship

I love the game of basketball. I attempt to work into my schedule at least 3-4 hours of basketball every week. When it is just me, a basket and a ball, I often have my best thinking time. This is the time I come up with blog topics.

Yesterday, I started thinking about the link between basketball and a resurrected body.

Have you ever seen a really talented player who didn't understand the game and think: why did God distribute that kind of talent to someone who is wasting it? Likewise, I have played with guys who are fun to play with because they understand the team concept. But the skills are limited.

I look forward to a resurrected body and mind. I look forward to glorifying God by focusing passions without the hindrances and limitations of sin. I am excited about the potential pick-up basketball games in the new heavens and earth.

I started thinking about a pick-up game with a potential God Squad- guys who have made a public profession of faith in Christ and seem to have a demeanor that matches this profession. These names come to mind:

C- David Robinson
PF- Dwight Howard
SF- Dwayne Wade
SG- Pistol Pete Maravich
PG- Chris Paul

It would be a tough team. But I believe many ordinary Joes like myself will be able to compete and play on their level with a resurrected body and mind. I love basketball so much that there was a time in my life- before marriage to Amy- that I thought...

"I should just rent a simple apartment next to some good outdoor courts and an indoor gym. Then I could play pick-up basketball 4-5 times per week. And if I stay single... I could watch every college and NBA game that I want... And..."

Fortunately, I matured. But the longing for this has just been delayed to enjoying it fully in heaven. Now, I catch a glimpse from time to time. I understand Eric Liddel's line in Chariots of Fire, "God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure." God didn't make me a tremendous basketball player, but He did create in my heart a desire for the game. And when I play, I feel His pleasure.

In heaven, playing basketball and having time to read all the books I want to read are going to be permanent realities. I believe this. Because I believe heaven is the earth renovated. Our purest longings will be fulfilled as we enjoy the full presence of Christ and the elimination of the curse of sin. Psalms 107:9, "He satisfies the longing soul and the hungry soul He fills with good things."

One other plug for basketball... If you are a fan and you don't know about Bill Simmons' basketball blog, you need to read this. Here's a link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

Simmons understands the game better than any sports writer I have ever read. He is to writing as Hubie Brown is to announcing. They are in leagues by themselves.

Praising God for the Gift of Recreation,

Ashley Hodge

No comments: