Monday, February 08, 2010

Ed Young Jr Follow-Up

Around four years ago I wrote some blogs about Ed Young Jr. of Fellowship Church in Grapevine, Texas. I questioned the transparency and financial ethics that were taking place in the leadership of the church.

Those blog posts can be found below:

http://stewardshipmandate.blogspot.com/2006/01/tale-of-two-pastors.html

http://stewardshipmandate.blogspot.com/2006/05/how-now-shall-we-give.html

This past week, I noticed some activity in the comment section of that first blog. I figured something was up. A friend informed me that WFAA- the ABC affiliate in Dallas/Fort Worth had run an investigative piece on Ed Young Jr concerning his luxurious lifestyle.

The video and article of that piece can be viewed here.

I take no joy in having insight or discernment on this issue. My commitment is to pray for Ed and the ministry of Fellowship Church and that others will not be lead astray by the false idols of prosperity and luxury. I believe many people have come to a conversion experience with Christ through Fellowship Church and I rejoice in that.

My concern is that what is taking place with the prosperity gospel crowd is potentially going to jeopardize tax-favored status for the majority of minsters of the gospel who are not earning large sums of money and who are laboring for the advancement of the kingdom of Christ.

Let's be serious here. Million dollar pastoral salaries; $240k per year "parsonage" allowances to buy and support expensive homes; using $8 million private jets purchased with church funds to travel and take personal vacations; dressing in the finest designer clothes; and undergoing elective plastic surgery are all viewed by most ordinary folks with disdain.

It would not shock me if tax exempt status for religious organizations is removed or revamped as a result. There are plenty of voices pushing for it already and stories like this give those voices ample ammunition. As the government looks for ways to increase revenue to pay for large deficits, ministries like Ed Young's that are allegedly using tax-exempt status to line pockets with wealth become easy prey.

Praying for an outcome that glorifies God,

Ashley Hodge

4 comments:

Terry said...

It appears that you might have been prophetic about this situation. Remember Richard Foster's book (I think it has been retitled), "Money, Sex and Power" when he spoke of the significant dangers to those who find themselves with the opportunity.

MoJo said...

The thing that cracks me up is Fellowship Church claims to be all about reaching the lost. But if you're late for the service you cannot get into the sanctuary. Are seekers and lost people typically on time for church? What kind of representative of Christ tells people they can't come in because they're late? Who in the world would come back after that? Also, children are not allowed into the main church. Explain that.

Everyone is defending this guy because "he" brings people to Christ, but I'd be willing to say he's turned away a lot more than he's brought in. And when news like this luxurious lifestyle gets out, it does a LOT more damage to our cause. We're supposed to be taking care of the least of these, not robbing them.

Folks say that satan is behind this investigation because people are speaking out against a man of God. But doesn't the Bible tell us to hold each other accountable? Where does it say in Scripture that preachers are above reproach? In fact, I remember several references where Jesus confronted religious leaders and teachers of God's word, way more than He confronted ordinary "sinners." And He did it publicly every time. We are instructed to confront people face-to-face when they sin but Ed Young is un-reachable, not approachable.

And everyone is mocking the guy from the news for wearing a mask but they don't bother to ask why he had to do that. Pirate Christian radio did some research and found out every staff member has to sign a confidentiality agreement. Maybe the guy was afraid. Of a church. Holy cow (speaking of idolatry).

My prayer is that everyone who goes there is strong enough to start asking questions and making any necessary changes. You should be in prayer constantly and do whatever God leads you to.

Bryan said...

Ashley, I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know if you remember me but I attended a financial course that you led one time at FC. My wife and I no longer go to Fellowship due to this development and also due to the fact that I don't think I know the Bible any better than I did eight years ago when I started going there. The mantra of FC seems to be growth at any cost. When the spiritual depth of your church is the equivalent of a kiddie pool, I don't think numbers impress God. I'm happy to report that we found a church that is down the street from us where the pastor preaches from the Bible (and I don't mean from notes that are paper-clipped to the pages).

Ashleyhodge said...

Bryan- definitely remember you. Good to hear from you. Glad to hear you are married and still actively following the Spirit's voice. I still talk to Cheryl, Vicki, Debbie and Frank from our class from time to time. See Frank at the gym a lot. God Bless, Ashley