Monday, October 17, 2005

Complaining

I have been writing to my 18-month old son-Hudson- on a regular basis since he was born. In a desire to leave a legacy of faith, I have attempted to give practical advice and to write out the things that I am praying for him about. One topic, I return to over and over again is my desire for him to not be a complainer.

Philippians 2:14 tells us to do all things without grumbling or complaining. Perhaps I think about this a lot because I struggle daily with a tendency to complain. Maybe it is on my mind because I look around and see the vast majority of the world constantly complaining. The Christian community would attract many people and win more friends if we would just obey this one verse- do all things without grumbling or complaining.

To develop the heart of a steward, we must daily submit ourselves to the will of Christ. A huge part of this submission is to eliminate complaining from our lives. Hebrews 12:3-4 encourages us with these words: "Consider Him who has endured from sinners such hostility against Himself that you do not grow weary or fainthearted. For in your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood."

Lord, I pray that You will daily teach me not to complain. I pray that You will teach others who know You not to complain. Encourage us daily to submit ourselves to You and to focus on the things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent and praiseworthy- Philippians 4:8.

Ashley Hodge

No comments: