Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Rewards for stewards

This past weekend, I finished the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. I don't remember reading these books as kids. But after reading them, I realized that the books are really intended for adults to bring out child-like enthusiasm for Heaven. I predict that there will be widespread interest in these books and ideas with the upcoming release of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe as a full-length movie.

God created in each of us a void that can only be filled by Him. He created us to be stewards over all creation and to walk with Him in faith- Genesis 1:28. Something has gone terribly wrong with this world. Winter has fallen over creation. Sin has marred nature, our work, our minds and our hearts. We live in a world that only provides glimpses of Heaven.

Stewardship is the call of every Christian because this is God's original mandate to Adam & Eve. We are called to glorify Him with MATH- money, abilities, time and health. This earth is training for eternity. Imagine exploring the potential for which we were created in a world where sin is absent and God is present.

I love the city in which I live- Dallas. I see two cities within the one. I see a city where crime, poverty, corruption and perversion exists and it makes my heart long for a world where this doesn't exist. But I also see so much potential for this city because many of the people have hearts for God and others. I see churches doing God's work, honest businesses, joyful families, open hearts and homes. It makes me long for a day when this will be the norm not the exception.

I live in a neighborhood that is slowly transitioning from an older 1950's ranch style neighborhood to a place where young couples are buying homes and renovating the older styles. I love to see revitalization, restoration and renovation. It reminds me of the work that God is doing in the hearts of believers and also what He has revealed about His plan for all of creation.

God promises that a day is coming when the earth will be renovated- II Peter 3:13. Peter implores us that since we are waiting for these things, what type of people should we be? We ought to live holy and godly lives. He tells us this in verses 11, 14, 17 and 18 of the 3rd chapter of II Peter.

Friends we are called to be stewards of this life. We need to be diligent, watchful, prayerful, striving, warring against sin, the ways of this world and our Enemy. The time of rest, relaxation and peace is to come. This is our time to sacrifice and deny self for the sake of leading others to Christ. Seek Heaven in Heaven and not on earth. Be good stewards over the MATH that God has given you. Read Luke 12 and meditate on verses 41-48. All of these resources come with responsibility. We are to maximize all things for His glory.

In Christ,

Ashley Hodge

No comments: