Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Glimpse of Heaven

I am not a great skier. I am not a big fan of cold weather. But I had an opportunity to catch a glimpse of what is beautiful in creation when I traveled with eight friends to Beaver Creek, Colorado this past weekend.

Several months ago I read Heaven by Randy Alcorn and the Chronicles of Narnia series by CS Lewis. I have not stopped thinking about their descriptions and imagery of Heaven since.

I feel fortunate to have friends that are brothers in Christ to discuss things that actually matter such as our eternal destiny. But vacations always seem too short. Time and financial pressures crowd out the lasting joy that servants of Christ will experience in a restored paradise. What tremendous glory awaits the Christian!

Every Colorado mountain, West Texas sunset, Florida panhandle beach and pristine river is just a glimpse of what God has in store for His chosen people. The hope of Heaven is the motivation for the Christian to enjoy pleasures. But only as a pilgrim traveling to a better place. Places like Colorado give us a foretaste of God's endless creative power. We can taste some of them, but they are not to be our life's pursuit. Heaven can wait- and it will be more spectacular than we can ever visualize.

Imagine skiing in a resurrected, glorified body. God has prepared a place for us- Heaven. He has prepared a Person for us- Christ. But for now, we live under a paradise that has been subject to the curse. Decay, corruption and death are the natural results of sin. We have a disease that only Christ can cure.

My reflection every time I visit a place like Beaver Creek, Colorado is that God is good. My heart gets excited to marinate on the beauty that awaits the invisible church of Christ. But I also reflect on how much I hate sin. I hate its source. I hate its effect on my mind and heart. I look forward to the day when sin will be removed from my life forever.

Creation. Fall. Redemption. Glorification. This is the story of history. It is the story clearly revealed in the pages of the Bible. Endure for a little longer, Christian. Fight for righteousness while there is time. Fight against sin and evil. Remember the hope of Heaven- a resurrected body in a resurrected earth. Meditate on Paul's words in Romans 8:18, "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us."

For His Glory,

Ashley Hodge




No comments: