Saturday, February 04, 2006

Minister of Defense

A good friend- Chris- sent me an article about Reggie White's search for truth. Reggie was one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history and will likely be voted into the Hall of Fame today. He died unexpectedly at age 43 from a heart arrhythmia.

During his playing days he was an outspoken ambassador for Christ. After his NFL career was over, he began a quest for truth that lead him to question his beliefs about the Bible and organized religion.

I can relate to some of White's concerns. I would consider myself somewhat cynical of organized religion by nature. John Calvin wrote in his Institutes of the Christian Religion, "In order to hold men's minds in greater subjection, clever men have devised very many things in religion by which to inspire the common folk with reverence and to strike them with terror."

The article about Reggie White and his search for truth is here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-white020306&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I admire White's search for truth and his desire to learn Hebrew and the ancient Near-Eastern mindset to comprehend the words of the Bible. White grew up being taught that the Bible was the infallible, inerrant Word of God. His Pentecostal roots instructed him that the King James version was the word for word accurate translation of God's Word. What he learned when he started to study how the Bible came to be rocked his belief system.

Similar questions led me to take classes at Westminster Theological Seminary in Dallas. From the time that I trusted Christ in faith, I have had questions. Anyone who has entered seminary- at least an intellectually honest seminary- will tell you that some of those questions may get answered but that hundreds of other questions spring up. I believe along with John Calvin that the Bible is the only reliable path towards a relationship with God. Without this revelation, we would be blind.

John Calvin writes in the Institutes that God has put us in a glorious theater- earth- to witness the glory of His creation. This alone is enough evidence to require worship from every creature. But since mankind is easily led into error and is a continual factory of false idols/gods, God found it necessary to reveal Himself through the written Word. The Bible according to Calvin is the spectacles through which we see God clearly. But the truth of the Bible will not find acceptance in men's hearts unless it is sealed by the inward testimony of God's Spirit.

One of the most helpful things that I have learned in seminary in relation to the problems that arise from a study of the Bible is the Incarnational Analogy- God condescending to become man in Christ. I learned this in an Old Testament Introduction class taught by Peter Enns. The analogy is this:

The Bible is messy. It claims to be 100% the Word of God- therefore reliable, inspired by God, authoritative and necessary for daily living. But the Bible also claims to be 100% the word of man. God chose to reveal himself through the personalities, language and messiness of humans. It is due to this messiness that many questions arise- problems with translations, historical data, etc... It is the most scrutinized book ever written. The accuracy is amazing and can only be attributed to God. Yet, some of the issues of the Bible cause men like Reggie White to question everything they have ever been taught.

At the end of the day, we must admit that the Bible is a great mystery. We are humbled by it. It is not always as neat and tidy as some preachers want us to believe. It can never be mastered by the finite human mind. In the same way, Christ is a mystery. He claims to be 100% God- therefore the eternal Creator, All-Knowing, All-Powerful Judge of man. But Christ claims also to be 100% human- subject to the messiness of human existence (yet without sin).

This analogy has helped me deal with the conflict. There are some things too mysterious for us to comprehend. I don't know how I was created- but I trust that God did it. I don't know why God created beings capable of falling from their original glory- but I see evidence everywhere that this universe is in bondage to decay. I don't understand why God chose to redeem humans through Christ- but I trust that this is His plan. I don't know what the afterlife is going to be like- but I have faith that the God who raised Christ from the dead will resurrect my lifeless form and will restore the earth to its original magnificence.

The Bible reveals Christ. It reveals God through Creation, Fall, Redemption and Restoration. It shows humans that they are sinful and far from God's original glory. It reveals Christ as our only hope of restoration to that original glory. It clearly lights a path for salvation through persevering faith in Christ alone. It teaches us to go to war daily against sin. It holds out the hope of Heaven for all who submit to Christ.

I am comfortable with not fully understanding secondary issues. I hope to see Reggie White in a restored paradise and discuss some of these things with him. Until then I will continue to learn and grow in understanding of God's revelation. But I must confess with Augustine, "The more I learn, the less I know."

For His Glory,

Ashley Hodge

No comments: