Tuesday, December 27, 2005

What is Your Stewardship Plan for 2006?

The holidays are always a time for reflection. It is a time to review the year that is gone. And look forward to the year ahead. I have been amazed throughout my life at the power of:
  1. Writing goals on paper/computer.
  2. Developing a system for measuring these goals regularly.
  3. Praying and focusing on these goals.

It's an overused expression- goals are like magnets, they pull you in their direction. But that truth has been demonstrated in my life many times. So my question is: what are your goals for improving your stewardship of God's provision in 2006?

  • What are your goals for making better use of money? How can you improve in becoming more frugal towards self and more generous to others?
  • What are your goals for using your abilities to glorify God? Have you written a business plan that is centered first and foremost on being obedient to Christ?
  • What are your plans for redeeming your time for eternal purposes? Are you spending time in study, prayer and ministry to others or just wasting life by consuming countless hours of entertainment?
  • What are your goals for improving your health? Do you practice moderation in diet? Do you schedule exercise as one of the most important activities of the week? Do you get proper rest? Do you manage stress well?

I will share a goal that I have for 2006 in each of these areas. I do this in hopes that it will inspire a few people to do the same.

Money- I have set a goal of giving 10% of my income of a certain dollar figure to ministries that further the gospel of Christ. I hope to give 100% of income in excess of that dollar figure that I have determined will be required to meet my families basic needs, a few wants and an adequate level of savings.

Abilities- I have set a goal of organizing events every quarter to promote the four areas of whole-life stewardship- money, abilities, time and health. I hope to have speaking engagements on radio and in person to promote biblical stewardship principles that I have outlined in my book- Stewardship Mandate.

Time- My goal for 2006 is to spend from 5am-8am every morning studying the Bible, in prayer and reading. I hope to devote one hour per day to each of these activities.

Health- My goal for 2006 is to be below 12% body fat, drink at least 100 ounces of water per day, limit soda intake to less than 20 ounces per day, exercise four times per week and sleep at least six hours per night.

My central focus in doing all of this is not to feel good about myself or to practice a form of legalism that has no beneficial effect on my soul. My main objective is that Christ may increase in my life and that I might decrease- John 3:30. Our lives become more joyful and meaningful as our God-centeredness increases.

Wishing you a God-centered 2006,

Ashley Hodge

1 comment:

Claire said...

Good luck with your stewardship plans! May God's grace and might sustain you.